Advantages compared to traditional measuring with lancing devices
Continuous glucose monitoring has many advantages for the patient and his/her lifestyle:
- Considerable reduction in frequency of conventional blood glucose measuring and therefore reduction in symptoms of painful fingers and numbness of the fingertips
- Prompt warning and prediction of hypoglycaemia and hyperglycaemia, thus avoiding critical life-threatening situations and late onset complications.
- A better, more intuitive comprehension of the body’s reaction to differing foods and activities leading to a better compliance to normal blood glucose value ranges.
- The future possibility of an automatic closed loop system together with an insulin pump-automatic monitoring and adjusted insulin delivery.
Advantages compared to current commercially available continuous monitoring systems
- Longer sensor lifetime: 1 month instead of 5-7 days
- Increased measuring precision and accuracy
- Fewer false alarms
- Affordable production and therefore lower costs for the patient and health insurance.
These advantages are achieved through our innovative biosensor, which is considerably more compatible and read out via a sensitive fiber optic as opposed to electrochemically.